Search This Blog

Saturday 28 November 2009

Write on.






So now I have the writing bug. Except it's surprisingly hard to keep going alone. Don't get me wrong, being on your own with your thoughts and the computer, or paper and pen, is par for the course for a writer, and essential as a stethoscope and warm hands for a doctor. But, having committed words down, structured a story, sketched out characters, visualised powerful images, avoided adverbs, skimped on adjectives and strung out a scene to wring as much emotional value out of it as possible, what a writer needs is someone to read the work. Without having to go the whole hog, complete the manuscript and send it off willy nilly to see if someone out there in the harsh world of publishing will pay for it. As a writer, I want someone to read at least sections of my work as I write it, or give me feedback (kind and constructive, of course) so that I know I'm on the right track. And I want to know that I am not alone in feeling isolated, dubious, or worried about rejection or ridicule.


So the answer is a writers group. I used to belong to a writer's group called the Medway Mermaids, based in Gillingham, Kent. We were a girl-only group, met once a month, reviewed each others work, run workshops, competitions, exhibitions, open mic sessions for the poets among us, supported each other, commiserated with each other's rejections and rejoiced when one of us was published or won a competition. Meeting once a month kept us going during long slogs of writing that next chapter, or scene or verse. Chatting online to each other often lifted flagging spirits or generated new inspiration. I wasn't a member long because I left the UK to come to Gib. But I really miss the interaction with other writers, the learning from them, the companionship of like-minded people.


I don't think there's a writing group in Gibraltar. But there are lots of very good writers here. So if any of them read this post, please contact me. Perhaps we could set up a group here, run meetings, workshops, invite writers to give seminars, publish our own anthologies....In short, a group of writers here in Gib could put Gibraltarian literary talent out there, in the world of international literature.

3 comments:

  1. Hello. I'm not a writer and I have no idea if there is such a group in Gibraltar. But there is a huge community on net of writers, librarians and literature lovers. I used to follow a writer who published section of his book on his blog everyday waiting for readers' comments; finally he published his book for real, gave autographs, everything....maybe this it's helpful in some way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your encouragement, Danangib, and I've started browsing a bit more, and found some sites that look like they may be pretty helpful. I'm giving thought to maybe starting a writing group in Gib anyway - face to face interaction is really helpful, and there's nothing like it for helping to create interesting characters and plots.

    Thanks for taking the time to read the blog and leave comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I've just spotted your post and I thought I'd let you know that I run the weekly Rock Writers Group at the Eliott Hotel Lounge Bar every Tuesday evening at 8.30pm. You can read more about this on our Facebook group called 'Rock Writers Workshop Gibraltar.'
    Best regards,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete